Devoted to sharing the Word of God - in uplifting, informative and encouraging posts.
" It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life." John 6:63

Wednesday 17 June 2020

Perpetual Prayer - What Purpose?

*Recently I heard a visiting preacher sharing how he appreciated new ones praying for him, for his faithful elderly brethren who had long prayed for him were passing on!
However true this maybe, I was saddened this young pastor had not realised their prayers are not attached to the physical presence on earth of those saints on earth.
I've seen mighty prayer warriors, like Bro Mac who I've mentioned before, who prayed 8 hours a day over maps of countries, so burdened for lost far off ones. 
Our prayers don't evapourate, they are lifted before our Father God until answered, His time and way, not ours.
*****
Those prayers have either been answered, are still being answered, or in future will be so.
Our Brother Mac, now in heaven - will see the final answer to those decades old prayers by faith!
Prayer is of Spirit, of God's realm.  
A prayer of faith is a perpetual prayer, until it’s answered.
If someone ask us for something, we may reply yes, no, maybe or wait. 
God is the same.
To be answered and effective it must be a prayer of faith. 
Let’s look a little into scripture on this.  
Faith IS:
Faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not seen.
 Heb. 11:1
Not seen. That is why prayer is faith. And of Spirit. 

We’re praying to an unseen God. Unseen but oh, so real in our heart IF we know Him as own Lord and Saviour.

Without faith it is impossible to please Him. 
Hebrews 11:6a

If we have not sought the Lord Jesus Christ as our Saviour from sin, 
we cannot please Him! 
For further explanation on this, please read this post here - Who or What is Christian?

Let’s investigate the perpetual aspect of the prayer of faith.
The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
James 5:17

These verses were spoken of Elijah (full story in 1 Kings18:17-46). A mighty man of faith and prayer, who said the rain would cease for 3 and half years, due to King Ahab greatly sinful ways.
 Three and half years later Elijah prayed.. prayed over a long cloudless sky, seven times he sent his servant the top of the hill... nought! Then 7th time, a cloud the size of a man's hand. Elijah raced Ahab and the rain to the city.
 I especially love Elijah’s request for God to hear Him.

I often pray this verse, which Elijah prayed. 
 Hear me, O Lord, hear me, 
that this people may know that thou art the Lord God,
 and that thou hast turned their heart back again. 
1 Kings 18:37
Elijah's prayer for Israel is still being answered in hearts, lives of the nation of Israel and beyond today.. that God in mercy would turn back hearts again to Him!

The LORD Jesus, used the sword of the Spirit the Word of God in His time of temptation with Satan. 

It is our sword in the battle of prayer also (Eph. 6:10 -18)

May I challenge you to pray, pleading the blood of the Lamb, as you pray these verses below for souls.
(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; 
2 Cor. 10:4-5
*****
Every prayer of faith we pray or have ever prayed is as incense before the LORD.

Revelation 8:2-4
And I saw the seven angels which stood before God; and to them were given seven trumpets.
And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.
And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand.

Prayers of all saints, ascending in heaven, even now as we read, and then in the time of those verses, which is in the time of Great Tribulation to come. 
Decades, centuries or millennia may pass (as with Paul’s, Daniels, Ezra’s and many other mighty prayers in scripture), yet that prayer is still lifted before God's glorious rainbow throne of grace, where we find grace to to help in time of need. (Heb. 4:16)

Prayer, heartfelt earnest covered by the blood of Lamb is always lifted there, till answered.

This is the PURPOSE of perpetual prayer.. prayer lifted until answered.
God is glorified.  

I will close with this mighty saying by John Bunyan.
(Saying seen last week in a card on dear Maxine's blog 
- thanks sis.) 
Pray often, 
for prayer is a shield to the soul, 
a sacrifice to God,  
and a scourge for Satan. 

John Bunyan was imprisoned for preaching the gospel and wrote the Pilgrim's Progress! He lived, breathed prayer. 
John knew the length, depth, breadth of the wonderful grace of Jesus. 
Hymn link here also.
May we do likewise!
I normally would apologise for the length of this post, but this is one subject which can never be too long. 
It is such precious a gift to us. 
May we daily realise the greatness of God's gift of PRAYER!
I pray it blesses you as it did me.
If things are difficult, I pray earnestly for you for God's comfort. 
"Our  Heavenly Father knoweth. "
"He careth for you." 
And thank you so much to all who encourage me with this blog. 
You bless me so!
Prayer hugs, 🙏🤗
Shaz in Oz.x
*post starts "recently", but was begun in pre-COVID times four months or more ago. Often posts take much meditation and prayer to write. This was definitely one. They deepen as they go.
PS . If you haven’t I'd love it you to join as a wonderful encourager of this blog ...  link HERE.  Thank YOU to those who have done so already. It really encourages me to keep on. 😊
If you'd like these posts in your inbox, you can add your email to email link option on side bar. If you're on a mobile device on which there is no sidebar, then scroll down and select "View Web Version" at very bottom of post. This will bring up sidebar and "follow by email" link. Thank YOU

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

It surely wasn't too long a post for me! I love the subject of prayer. I hardly know where one prayer ends and the next one begins in my daily life. It seems I stay in a constant state of prayer, even though I am not continually on my knees. The burdens are so heavy upon my heart, I cannot but pray. I love the quotes you included, and it SO encouraged me to know that my dear Mom and Dad's prayers are still being answered for me. Oh, I do miss them and their prayers! Your words reminded me of in Revelation where it says, "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord, and their works do folow them." I am so thankful the prayers do not stop being answered when someone is called from earth to Glory. What a comfort this brought to me tonight! Thank you for persevering through the four month delay and finishing and publishing this post. A minister told me one time that "God's Word never spoils." So, so true. Many blessings to you, sweet sister!

kiwimeskreations said...

Precious, precious post Shaz - loving the quotes you have there - especially the second one by George Muller - "Faith begins where man's power ends".
We were challenged in church on Sunday not to have an empty censor/bowl of prayers!
Such a comfort to know that our prayers continue to be heard eternally in heaven until they are answered.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Martha Jane Orlando said...

We can never pray too much, Shaz, that's for sure and certain! God hears, and He will act in His time. I love the quote from Bunyan so very much for it is so true. May we all pray and praise the Lord each and every day.
Blessings!

RitaR said...

I'm thankful for your devotional on the subject of prayer.  You reminded me of something that I hadn't thought about in a long time  ... namely, that our prayers are stored in heaven and the answers will keep coming long after we've prayed them.  That is especially comforting for me today; just recently the thought had come to me that now that my dear Mother has passed away (she went to be with the Lord in February) I don't have anyone praying for me as faithfully as she did.  I'm comforted by the assurance that her prayers are continuing to be answered!!

I was so pleased to see you emphasize 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 because I believe that is one of the most powerful scriptures to use as we pray for ourselves and for others.  I pray that scripture an awful lot and have seen it's benefits.  I was just reading through a sermon by the late David Wilkerson who said that he had learned in his 30+ years of counseling hurting people that all the scripture and counseling is futile if the individual is unable to comprehend the Lord's love for them.  Pastor Wilkerson had learned thathe must first pray for the individual that the Lord would pull down strongholds in that person so that they would then be able to absorb truths from God's Word. 

Also, I just love to read about George Muller and his prayer life ... what an inspiration he was!!  Thank you for sharing wisdom from Mr. Muller.

Thank you for allowing the Lord to minister through you in such a powerful way through your blogs.  These are exciting times we live in ... harsh in so many ways ... but this is the time for all believers to dig into the Word and receive the nourishment we all need to keep our faith strong and our eyes on the Lord.  I'd like to share a link to a message that was very meaningful to me regarding these difficult times we are now living in:  https://asiaharvest.org/an-exhortation-for-all-followers-of-jesus-in-troubled-times/   
May the Lord richly bless you,Rita

Betsy said...

Hello my sweet sister. Thank you for this precious post on prayer. I don't think that people, even a lot of Christians, realize just how powerful this communication with our Lord is. We have the ear of the Maker of the Universe! Just think of it! I appreciate each and everyone of the verses you quoted and the wisdom you have shared with us. Prayer. It's more important than food or drink.
Blessings,
Betsy

Brenda said...

Not to long of a post for me my sweet friend, it was a wonderful post on prayer. Prayer is powerful and so needed all the time. I love talking to the Lord and do it all through the day/evening. Yes, prayer is so needed, I need it, I need to talk with my Lord God. I can't imagine not being able to talk to Him. I am thankful for all the blessings He gives me each and everyday. I also pray to talk to him on issues I may be having, asking for strength, wisdom, etc...I can't imagine non believing people and all that they are missing out on. Thanks for this beautiful post on prayer! Hugs, Brenda

Dévied said...

Thank you shaz, beautiful post and full of good points and scripture.

Sunshine Country said...

This is a wonderful post with so much to think about. I've often thought with comfort on the prayer our Lord Jesus made while here on this earth...how He said
John 17:20 "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word".... Knowing He was praying for me also and each of His children in years to come.

I feel sad sometimes at how lightly prayer is treated by others...and so many not recognizing there are conditions laid out in God's Word for prayer to be answered. This makes me often search my heart...and desire a close walk with the Lord. It robs of joy when we walk on with unjudged sin, and therefore unanswered prayers.

Thank you for this post! It made me once again examine my life, and see if my prayers indeed are in faith...not doubting His promises.

R's Rue said...

Thank you for sharing.